Friday, March 18, 2011

First Day in Israel

Set down in Israel today at 11:45 AM following a smooth and uneventful 11 hour flight. I was immediately wisked off to an Ecological Farm located just outside of Modiin. This farm is a work in progress as they experiment with various forms of farming that are friendly to our environment and support sustainable models of agriculture. Here are some pictures:








My host, Noa Winik, then picked me up and brought me to her home in Modiin for Shabbat dinner. It is difficult to imagine that just 15 years ago there was little to nothing where now stands a growing city of 80,000 people. Modiin is a truly planned city. The goal was to create a city directly between Jerusalem and Tel Aviv. Modiin is a beautful city, clean, up to date, planned with families in mind,,,plenty of parks and play areas. As mid afternoon came, it was apparent that the entire city was preparing for Shabbat. I have never experienced anything like this...It was as if the entire city takes a deep clensing, relaxing breath as the week comes to an end. There was a calmness in the air as everyone was preparing for Shabbat. It was an awesome experience. We do not experience this in the States. Noa and I, along with her daughter Shir, walked to Shabbat services. Almost directly across the street from each other is a Conservative and Reform Temple. We attended parts of both. At the Reform service, I was welcomed by several congregants that are aware of the Partnership between Rochester and Modiin. Although the entire service was in Hebrew, I felt welcome and connected. As we walked back to Noa's apartment, the days sunlight fading, the wonderful smells of Shabbat dinners cooking was a powerful reminder that in spite of the secularism that abounds in Israel, Shabbat is sacred. A time to slow, be with family and friends, and re-energize after a week of work. A time to rekindle ones connection with Judaism. I enjoyed a wonderful dinner with Noa and her extended family....about 25 people around the table. We sang songs...laughed.....and enjoyed each others company. I missed not having Carol and the kids with me. I noticed a calmness in me that I do not often feel and a sense of profound connection to the Noa and the people of Modiin. How do I even attempt to re create this at home? What do I need to do different to make Shabbat sacred when I return to home? These questions will fill my thoughts throughout the remainder of the week.

Some pics of Modiin:






Love to all.....Keith



1 comment:

  1. This is cool. I am learning a lot already. Would love to see YOU in some of these pictures. The concept of a truly planned city is very interesting. Would be an interesting conceptual project for students and even more interesting if I could sit down with Bill Gates and Steve Jobs and build a planned city (somewhere warmer than upstate NY). Question--March Madness takes up the collective consciousness of many Americans this time of year. Have you seen any interest in this basketball extravaganza in Israel?

    ReplyDelete